Video – What does First Fruits have to do with Tithing?

Pastor Foley explains that the point of the tithe relates to the principle of first fruits.  When we offer the first 10% of our income to the Lord, it trains us to honor the Lord with the remaining 90%.  The principle of first fruits applies to so much more than money though.  For example, it also applies to how we worship God on Sundays.  It’s not that we are only setting apart only one day for the Lord, but that one day should change how we look at every other day of the week!

For all of the latest podcasts on Preparation and on past Works of Mercy visit our Seoul USA Podcast Page!

About Pastor Foley

The Reverend Dr. Eric Foley is CEO and Co-Founder, with his wife Dr. Hyun Sook Foley, of Voice of the Martyrs Korea, supporting the work of persecuted Christians in North Korea and around the world and spreading their discipleship practices worldwide. He is also the International Ambassador for the International Christian Association, the global fellowship of Voice of the Martyrs sister ministries. Pastor Foley is a much sought after speaker, analyst, and project consultant on the North Korean underground church, North Korean defectors, and underground church discipleship. He and Dr. Foley oversee a far-flung staff across Asia that is working to help North Koreans and Christians everywhere grow to fullness in Christ. He earned the Doctor of Management at Case Western Reserve University's Weatherhead School of Management in Cleveland, Ohio.
This entry was posted in Preparation, Videos and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Video – What does First Fruits have to do with Tithing?

  1. Crusher says:

    Sometimes when we hear things, they stick with us. I have heard this guy, Robert Morris, speak at quite a few of the popular churches such as Saddleback, Willow Creek, New Spring, Elevation Church (seems like a lot of the Catalyst churches….). He also talks about the requirement to tithe the first 10%. Here is his teaching at Saddleback – http://www.alittleleaven.com/2011/09/rick-warren-invites-word-faith-heretic-robert-morris-to-teach-money-heresy-at-saddleback.html.

    It doesn’t take much to see that he is not only incorrectly teaching the tithe, but a plethora of non-Biblical heresy regarding curses and other nonsense. He really tries to make the point that you have to give the actual first 10% dollars that hit your account (as if you could tell) or the rest of your money is cursed. If you do tithe (i.e., give to Robert Morris or the church he is speaking at), then he says you get blessed, as in God is going to make you financially secure, inter alia.

    So I think it is important to note that when the phrase is used here at .W of tithing first 10%, people really need to open their Bibles, follow along, AND listen to the whole sermon. Rev. Foley’s message is nothing like Robert Morris, and it would be important to understand the Biblical nature of money, offerings and tithes in order to avoid getting sucked into the popular, slick heresy of Robert Morris and his like.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s